i've made this recipe for two occasions: our superbowl party last year, as well as when i had the soccer girls over last Sunday. it's ADDICTING and i need to remind myself to make double batches when i make it because it disappears about five minutes after setting it out. the caramel part only takes about 5 minutes to make and then you stir in the popcorn (which i pop using my air popper that we picked up for $2 on a yard sale one year. best. purchase. ever.). i have to have ry mix the popcorn because he's GREAT at making every piece covered in caramel goodness. i'll leave you with recipe to enjoy while we run off to prepare for the hurricane by taking beans to run around and get out all his energy! hopefully i won't be posting about hurricane crazy in the next couple of days...
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light-colored corn syrup
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon light molasses
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 cups popcorn (popped without salt or fat)
- 1. Preheat oven to 250°.
- 2. Coat a large jelly roll pan with cooking spray.
- 3. Combine sugar, corn syrup, butter, and molasses in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook 5 minutes, stirring once. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla, baking soda, and salt. Place popcorn in a large bowl; pour sugar mixture over popcorn in a steady stream, stirring to coat.
- 4. Spread popcorn mixture into prepared pan. Bake at 250° for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- 5. Remove from oven; stir to break up any large clumps. Cool 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.